Thursday, July 25, 2013

Hello, my name is Dave, and I am Vegan...

Yes I am. When I was 37 I reversed my health by going mostly vegan, and I lost a ton of weight. But that's not all that happened, I had been a physical and emotional mess for years - anxiety prone, migraines, low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), and just generally felt crappy most of the time. I'm not a tall guy and have fairly small bone structure. A good weight range for me is 140-150, I was over 200 and moving up-scale fast - when Grace intervened - a JuiceMan juice maker one Christmas.

I did not know who Jay Kordich was, but I watched the video tape that came with the juicer, and stroking my (double) chin said to myself - you know this makes sense. Humans are the only animal species that cooks their food... Hummm....


When I made the first fresh uncooked (unpasteurized) juice (sort of a V-8 concoction as I recall) I had an immediate strong reaction. And it was not just the sugar or something like that (believe me I ate plenty of desserts, and being hypoglycemic, knew exactly what getting sugar feels like). I felt an amazing rush of vitality and energy for the first time in years. Actually, probably for the first time ever. You tend to notice stuff like that! Now I no longer get that amazing rush when I eat or juice fruit and vegetables, but I was severely depleted and didn't know it. I will never forget that moment, my eyes were opened, the light went on.


So after a few years of this relative bliss state, where my weight went to 140 and my energy and vitality soared, I gradually slid back into old ways. Not uncommon. In my case I was not getting something, a certain nutrient, or nutrients, but I had a couple of likely suspects in mind from the reading I had done. Omega 3, vitamin B12, or protein. I knew something was missing, but was not sure what. I backslid almost out of necessity, but ended back in the land of pain... by 55 or so I was a mess again, overweight, and worse, the early symptoms of heart disease had shown up. I knew something had to be done, and I had a pretty good idea where to start... back to the fresh juice.


It worked, and it's different this time. The internet changed everything - now there is the support of others on similar journeys, and as importantly, the deep knowledge of true experts, all on tap in real time. The so-called raw food community has undergone a green revolution of it's own. We now know green plant foods have the highest nutrient to calorie ratio of all the foods available to us. Previously, I was not getting (enough of) my greens! It's that simple.


A very good friend commented recently I should start blogging my explorations of health. So encouraged, here I am. I hope it can help others in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment