Tuesday, March 30, 2021

After doing the SOS Free WFPB Diet for 10 plus years

I guess I would say after doing the SOS Free WFPB Diet and lifestyle for 10 plus years that it is a process not a destination. Once you understand it, and that is not difficult, you begin to understand how easy and sustainable it is. Not to mention how good it makes you feel, and that it also prevents and reverses all the many diseases of dietary excess.

"SOS Free" means the diet reduces consumption of salt, oil, and sugar to nil.

You may have come across this by now, the food groups to select from are fruits and veggies, whole grains, legumes, and a moderate amount of nuts and seeds. And it's important to note this is not a restriction diet (for a very good reason...they don't work). This is an ad libitum approach, which means "eat until completely satisfied". And guess what? You will still arrive at your healthiest weight, and do so at the proper pace. And you will begin feeling better almost immediately.

Another way of looking at the same thing (this is a list):

-Fruits and starches are primary calorie sources. Calories are after all the most important nutrient. The engine can be well tuned, but without gas in the tank we're not going anywhere. Fruits and starches are also loaded with vitamins and minerals.

-Starches are whole grains and tubers.

-Leafy greens are very important, as are cruciferous and rainbow vegetables.

-Generally fruits have more vitamin content and veggies have more mineral content, and both groups are important.

-There is a fruit phobia out there that is based on a misunderstanding of fuel metabolism, which is another topic. It boils down to keep the fat calories on the low side of the total calories per day, which puts the body in glucose burning mode as opposed to the paleo idea of fat burning mode.

-Lower fat as a total percent of calories lets us eat fruits without blood sugar instability. Among the benefits of fruits are they provide the highest combination of calories and micronutrients in a single food group. And they are the most delicious food group when eaten raw and unaltered. And the very low prep time (wash and eat) adds simplicity to the total diet.

-Legumes are good sources of proteins, starches, and the variety of vitamins and minerals.

-Nuts and seeds give us high quality fats.

-All of the above is full of fiber, which heals the gut and gives us a near bulletproof immune function.

I tend to eat more fruit in the first part of the day, and more veggies in the latter part of the day. My first meal is super easy, big bowl of fruit with a little oatmeal on top, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Dinner takes longer, and it's rewarding to prepare a good meal as the day winds down.

Many of my dinners during a week are big salads, most of which are raw leafy greens and other veggies, to which I usually add beans and potatoes. Dressings are fruit based made in the blender. So a majority of weekly calories are raw, which I believe adds to overall nutrient density.

I snack on fruit mostly if I need a few extra calories during the day.

I found a cookbook I think will be good for the veggie dinners:

Here's a descriptive definition of SOS free WFPB eating:

3 comments:

  1. Very nice summation! Makes it very comprehensible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea what SOS Free meant. I found out about half way down the description of the last book you mentioned. I would suggest before using only initials for anything you first write it out in full and put the initials you will be using in parenthesis. I am saying this because so many things are now going only by initials and I often have no idea what they are talking about. So, you are getting something I wish I had told them! Sorry about that, however the suggestions is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct! I didn't even notice that I had not written it out until you told me...I will edit the post, thanks. BTW it's also kind of a play on words, SOS is the international distress signal, and the play on words is "Distress Free WFPB Diet".

      Delete