Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Everything you think you know about addiction is wrong

I've approached the topic of addiction several times in my blog...I think it's hard to overstate how important an understanding of addiction is for any thinking human animal.

I think of addiction as a habit counterproductive to emotional or physical health, and difficult to stop. Certain habits are less clearly counterproductive (coffee) and others more (smoking). We have to bring a certain amount of subjective assessment to the process - are we looking at a net benefit or net loss of energy, productivity, emotional poise, etc...

I came across a Ted Talk recently that flips the way we've been taught to think about addiction on it's head. I'm not going to give the punch line away, you will have to watch the Ted Talk for that...a mere 15 minutes, and well worth your time.




No comments:

Post a Comment