Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Book Review: The Pleasure Trap

When I was a kid I used to wonder why various flying insects found the porch light so irresistible they died there. Later I realized it must have something to do with the light over stimulating some survival instinct, which then paradoxically caused their death. Still later I realized it has something to do with technology exceeding the innate instinct envelope of the little critters, having evolved pre-tech. Good thing we're smarter than bugs!

Or are we? (you knew I was going to say that:)  Yep, it's a health blog, so of course I'm going to talk about diet and exercise -- but not this time. I'm going to show you a little big book that explains in the clearest most concise terms possible why it can be so difficult in this day and age for us to be the lean energetic people we would prefer to be.

Not only is it a compelling read, it may well be the most illuminating book about the "human condition" I personally have ever read. It's a grand exposition on who we are, where we came from, and how we came to this dilemma point with health and well being. It shows us the problems we face in technological society with creating and maintaining health, and gives us the most sensible reality based methods of becoming and being well I have ever come across.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

tiny URL for the Amazon page:    http://tinyurl.com/ol6bpjc

No comments:

Post a Comment